I was waiting on a bench at the train station. I turned my head at the hesitating "Cai-t-lin" to see a student from 3A cautiously approaching me. He was not dressed in his uniform. It was refreshing to see him in clothes he picked. I was relieved to see that his selection was unlike the outrageous, glam-rocker look that is popular with both girls and boys here. I was excited that he had the courage to talk to me. It also made me happy since if I can meet people I know at the train station, then Japan is not so big; I am not so foreign.
Riding the train together, we talked about our weekends and our favorite foods. Good for him for being able to communicate in English for ten minutes. Does Kizaki give extra credit?
Parting at the train station in Ota, he headed off to Aeon Mall, and I and Odelia having found each other, headed off in search of the Mushroom Festival.
Odelia had seen the posters around town. Details were scarce, but there was to be a festival and parade of mushrooms from a temple on Ota's only mountain, Kanayama, to the City Hall.
We didn't quite know where the temple was, but armed with a map and the correct cardinal direction, we headed off. Within 20 minutes we had found a temple, but it didn't seem like the right one. Luckily, a man came into sight up the hill, and we rushed to ask him for directions. Cleverly, Odelia had taken a photo of the mushroom event poster. The man took a look and began pointing and swiggling his hand about. Seeing our confusion, he began retracing his steps down the hill, waving for us to follow him. He led us all the way to the temple where dozens of people were milling about in anticipation of the event.
A quick speech was made, the dignitaries in attendance clapped, the marchers began their trek, and the news cameras rolled. Unlike everyone else, Odelia and I decided to follow alongside the parade as they walked into downtown Ota.
The march was a recreation of how mushrooms from Ota were carried from Kanayama to Tokyo in whatever day it was that Ota was famous for its fungi. (As opposed to today's claim to fame: hostess bars. Ota truly is one of Japan's cultural capitals.)
At the end of the parade route, organizers of the event, perhaps amazed that someone (foreigners, even!) had cared enough to follow alongside, came up to us and gave us the free lunch that those in the parade were enjoying. It was mushroom soup and rice with mushrooms in it. It was delicious. It was another example of Japanese warm-heartedness and their penchant for bizarre celebrations.
Pictures of the event are in the sidebar.

2 comments:
What a neat experience. Great pictures!
Great coverage of the mushroom march. It's almost like being there! Can't the men find a better way to keep their hats on? Those straps look terrible and uncomfortable.
Post a Comment