Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I Am An Expert At Making Lists

Hello, I'll be your all-knowing expert on everything! Explain the difference between "would like" and "want" in simple English with no warning? Okay! Explain the culture of the Maori people? Okay! Draw a map of Papua New Guinea and its relative position to Japan and the United States? Okay! Read in Tok Pisin? Sure! Sing John Lennon's Imagine? Ehrm. . .

Despite this wonder-talent of mine to spin plausibility on any subject in mere seconds (ignore the fact that my map of Papua New Guinea bore no relation to the actual country, and that I initially spelled Guinea wrong on the board), I have spent the last few days seriously contemplating what I want to get out of my time in Japan. I was handed a set of forms for recontracting (due in February). I don't plan on staying more than this one year, but it put into focus that I have less than twelve months to do everything I want to do in Japan. So, I made a list of things I want or want to do.

My list:

Beginning fluency in Japanese
Climb Mount Fuji
Japanese friends
Art classes (calligraphy, wood block, flower arranging)
Publish an article or photographs in a local paper or JET publication
Design my own webpage
Save money
Ride my bike for long distances
Ease with cooking Japanese food and with Japanese ingredients
Go to an onsen
Choose a post-Japan path

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are very, very good at making lists! And making up answers. But it's okay to say "I don't know," you know!

What is "onsen"?

Anonymous said...

Quite an ambitious list! You obviously need to save some time in accomplishing this, so may I suggest the following:

Let's see, you could Save Money by riding your bike to Mt. Fuji, which you could climb with a Japanese Friend, while conversing in Japanese and eating Japanese Food you prepared yourself. At the top of the mountain you might receive enlightenment about What to Do Next in Your Life, after which you will be inspired to do a Web Page about it, and also can submit an account of your adventure to the Local Paper. I don't know what an Onsen is so I don't know how you'll fit that in, but hopefully you can take an Art Class there.

Leslie said...

For everyone else: "Onsen" are hot spring baths. You go, take a soak in an outdoor, "natural" pool filled to the brim with wonderfully hot water and enjoy life for a bit.

For Caitlin: I think Mt. Fuji will have to wait until spring again (apparently it's already "winter season," where it's dangerous to climb it), but I'm all for going with if you want company. I also want to hit up onsen, so same as before. And, finally, where's Nikko on your list? ;)