Tuesday, March 04, 2008

School life tidbit: I am invited to class

Formality and politeness are important aspects of Japanese society and education. Students have to announce their presence before entering the staff room. In some schools they are not allowed to enter the staff room unless a teacher acknowledges them. Students also have to announce when they leave the staff room. As part of this culture of politeness I am offered an invitation to each class I go to. Students will come to the teacher before their class in order to help them carry any of the day's materials. If I am to be a part of the class that day, the teacher ushers the students over to me. The first years still look to their teacher for guidance, but the older students have mastered the English. "Caitlin, please join us for 3B." It is usually the boy who speaks as the girl demurs to him. I always respond, "Yes, I will. Thank you. See you!" It's a strange thing to be invited into a classroom every time. In part it is stand-offish as if I am still a guest who doesn't know where to go. On the other hand, it forces the students to speak English and be the active player in the conversation instead of passively responding to my questions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's something wonderful about such cultural politeness. I'm pondering what it would be like to have a job where I was invited to come to work every day, instead of being expected to show up.

Anonymous said...

Make the girls speak, if possible. :) It's like there are good points to being so polite, but then... there are also so many bad points (like White Day). Too much is done out of obligation and not enough out of sincerity.

Genki Odelia said...

Do you think that's why one of my JTEs always says, "please come to class 20 minutes later"? I always assume he is worried I will forget to show up. (The 20 minutes thing is because the poor second years have a grammar test EVERY week.