Monday, March 03, 2008

Lunch Speechie

Graduation is next Thursday. There are three more English classes for the 3nensei, but I was told I didn't need to come to any of them. I must have looked sad at that rejection, so the teacher suggested that I eat lunch with the third years this week. I readily agreed. Today I ate with class 3-A.

It was an interesting experience. The group I ate with was the only silent one in the room. I am intimidating. About half-way through I grew impatient with that and accosted one by saying I wanted her to help with my Japanese. I stumbled through a sentence or two then switched to English. She replied in Japanese mostly, and English when she knew how. It made the thirty minutes pass more quickly. At the end, the teacher (who is learning English, but is about equal with me in my Japanese learning), said something in Japanese and then then said the word "English." I nodded, and then he silenced the class. He pointed at me, saying "speechie." I was very surprised. Without standing up, I whipped around and quickly said, "Lunch was delicious. Thank you." Luckily, a kid got that I was trying to be funny and yelled out, "Woo!" Everyone laughed, me included, and any remaining awkwardness was lifted. It was one of my most successful speeches to date. It was the shortest to be sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Caitlin of the Silver Tongue"