Overall, the storm was no worse than a severe thunderstorm. By Friday morning the wind was gone, and the rain was slight. I spent most of the evening of my first typhoon in downtown Ota at a cooking class. Odelia, another JET, and I have signed up for a weekly lesson. It was a lot of fun. The class is about 10-12 people. Last week we made this:
The thing on the left is my favorite. It is thinly sliced chicken with a layer of seaweed spooned on top, covered in yellow, red, and green peppers, hot green pepper, and cheese. I think I might even be able to reproduce this one. The small bowl at top has pickled vegetables. I won't be making that at home since it takes three days to pickle. The soup in the other bowl was delicious, but requires equipment I don't have.


You might think this post has a lot of images in it. You'd be right, but we are no where close to being done. Today's activity was a walk through my neighborhood with my camera. The walk was delightful. A full two hours of discovering unseen gardens, houses, temples, and staircases. A walking guide to my neighborhood:

5 comments:
The missing photo has mysteriously appeared! I wonder, do you know what the writing on the road means?
Your blog is a treasure--both the words and the photos. Please keep it up.
The food looks so delicious! Hope you can make some of those for me. Great set of pictures too. Keep them coming! I love to see them
M-
The writing on the road means stop. The stop signs are red triangles with those characters. I guess they write it on the street for emphasis.
I love your pictures. They make me want to adventure across the Pacific to Japan ASAP. There, I'll be able to eat the delicious food that you've depicted. Anyway, I'm glad that you're having fun and that your first week of teaching went well. YAY!
And you already know how I feel about storms... but, the damage to the school building sucks.
If your camera takes videos - you may want to make an attempt at taking a video while riding your bike through town. heh.
Chantelle--
Ooh, video. My camera (and cell phone!) can do that. I'm going to have to try it soon.
Post a Comment