Last night coming back from my friend's apartment I was stopped by the police. I think the reason was because my bike light wasn't turned on. That, or a foreigner riding alone at one in the morning raises suspicions. I was very confused and tired. The officer stood in my path on the sidewalk motioning me to stop. He didn't speak English; my Japanese isn't passable. Eventually, I heard his request for my gaijin card. He recorded that information and then asked for a telephone number. Ridiculous as it may seem, I still don't have my land-line memorized, so I had to give out my cell phone number. He then told me, "Thank you," and ushered me on my way.
I have no idea what all this means. I hate interacting with authority figures, especially ones whose language and laws I don't understand. I'm irrationally afraid that my school will be contacted, or that a ticket will arrive at my mail box.
My stomach is still a bundle of nerves despite the many hours between me and last night.
Oh, and I think my bike is cursed.

4 comments:
I don't think your bike is cursed, but you'd better ride at night with the light on!
Turn your light on? Other than that, don't worry about it. Was he friendly?
Don't worry, my light will now be turned on at the first hint of dusk.
Oh Caitlin, that has happened to the best of us. They pulled my host sister over once because she was riding on her bike in the dark. But they just told her to turn on her light.
Post a Comment